Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase the item, we'll receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
We are talking about baby diapering today! Did you know that newborns need their diapers changed 10 to 15 times a day?
So in this post, we'll cover everything you need to know about diapering a baby including diaper changing tips, diapering essentials and smart changing station organization ideas.
TOP TEN TIPS FOR BABY DIAPERING
- Make sure to wash your hands before and after every diaper change.
- Use a flat surface to change baby's diaper such as a changing table or dresser with top.
- Secure baby with the changing pad straps before starting the diaper change.
- Never leave the baby unattended on the changing table or station.
- Make sure the diapering supplies are all within easy reach.
- Using a wet washcloth, cotton balls, or baby wipes, gently wipe your baby clean from the front to the back only.
- Don't forget to clean the creases in the thighs and buttocks.
- When changing a baby boys diaper, always keep a clean diaper over the penis during changing because exposure to air might cause boys to urinate.
- Once cleaning is done, pat your baby dry with a clean washcloth and before you apply a diaper ointment cream to prevent and heal rashes.
- Change baby into a clean diaper by sliding the diaper under baby's buttocks and make sure the back part with the adhesive strips is about level with the baby's bellybutton.
MUST HAVE ESSENTIALS FOR DIAPERING A BABY
There are a few diapering essentials that will make diaper duty much easier for you. Here are our favorite baby diapering essentials to make diaper changes quick and easy.
1.DRESSER & TOPPER SET / changing table
Choose a dresser and a removable topper or a changing table for diaper changes. If you pick a dresser, not only will you get plenty of storage for baby's clothes and knickknacks, but you can simply remove the topper and continue using it for years to come.
A changing pad is a diapering essential. A pad that has a three sided enclosure as well as a safety belt will help prevent baby from falling off the dresser.
3.CHANGING PAD COVER
You'll need to get a soft and comfortable changing pad cover for baby to lay on.
4.WATERPROOF CHANGING PAD LINERS
Place these waterproof changing pad liners over the changing pad to protect it from getting wet.
5. diaper organizer,STORAGE BASKETS OR DIAPER CADDY
Use a diaper pail to throw dirty diapers in and to prevent odors from escaping out.
No baby diapering station would be complete without the most important item-diapers.
Another must have baby diapering essential- Baby Wipes!
9.Diaper Rash Cream
Little ones tend to get diaper rash from time to time, so use a diaper cream to prevent diaper rash.
10.Health Care & Grooming Kit
Keep a grooming kit within easy reach when changing the baby's diaper and dressing the baby. From nail clippers to a cradle cap comb and a thermometer-a grooming kit has everything you might possibly need to groom the baby.
It's always nice to wipe your baby's bottom with nice warm wipes rather than cold wipes and having the little one squirm. This Munchkin Warm Glow Wipe Warmer will give you warm wipes every-time as well as easy access to individual wipes.
Often times after you change the baby, you end up breastfeeding or bottle feeding the little one in the nursery. Keep a hand sanitizer to clean your hands after each and every diaper change.
smart changing station organization ideas
Set your changing table up for success before you get started to make your life easier. You’ll be spending a lot of time there, and you want the changing station to be well organized. Read this post where we show you smart ways to organize the changing station.
PRINTABLE PDF BABY DIAPERING CHECKLIST
SAVE THIS BABY DIAPERING PIN TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD
Last Updated on April 20, 2020 by Tira Attygalla