All products featured on Nursery Design Studio are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Find out how to design a baby room and get the best baby room ideas with these expert tips and ideas.
This is the definitive guide to help you decorate baby's room. We'll walk you through everything from baby room ideas to nursery design best practices and share our favorite baby room design tools.
Here's what you'll find in this beginners guide.
1. Baby Room Decorating 101
2. How to design a baby room
3. Baby Room Ideas and Inspiration
4. Nursery Design Tools and Help
Decorating a nursery is a big project for sure. But with some planning and this guide, you can design a baby room you'll love. If you need a little extra help though, we can help you design a Pinterest worthy baby room. Check out our design packages here.
BABY ROOM DECORATING 101
1. Spend time planning out your baby's room design. Remember, this is going to be where you and the baby will spend precious time together, make countless memories and of course, take tons of photos, so spend time thinking through what is important and what kind of nursery would make you happy and bring joy to your family.
2. Let's not forget-budgeting. Figure out how much you can afford to spend on the nursery.
3. You'll need to pick the space you'll end up converting into the baby's room. Are you thinking about using the guest room or maybe you are thinking about creating a small nursery in the master bedroom itself?
4. When preparing the baby's room in your home, it helps to have a timeline. The best timeline will give you plenty of time to finish the project before baby arrives. Ideally, we recommend that by 18-20 weeks you'll have a nursery design plan pulled together and a budget for the nursery.
5. When creating your baby registry, don't hesitate to add nursery décor and accessories to the list.
6. Sometimes, there's quite a wait before furniture arrives. Try to order your key pieces at least by week 24, to give you plenty of time.
7. Once you receive the nursery furniture, we recommend you remove the packaging and air it out.
8. Whether you are putting up wallpaper or painting the baby's room, be sure to get it done early so there's plenty time to air out the room before baby arrives. This applies even if you are using low or no VOC paint.
9. The American Academy of Pediatrics' recommends that you keep baby's sleep area in the same room where you sleep for at least the first six months. You can use a bassinet or a portable crib that meets the safety standards.
10. Keep nursery bedding minimal and go with just a fitted sheet. Once again, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that you keep loose bedding, pillows, blankets or even bumper pads out of baby's crib.
11. Be very intentional about baby room organization. Regardless of your nursery décor, a nursery without adequate and well planned nursery organization, will end up creating a lot of unnecessary problems and get messy rather quickly.
12. When picking accessories and nursery décor, choose pieces that really speak to you. Doing so will keep baby's room looking less cluttered and more refined. Less is more and is the key to designing a baby room that's elevated and sophisticated.
HOW TO DESIGN A BABY ROOM
1. Designing a baby's room starts with getting inspired. Take a little time to look for nursery inspiration. Keep an eye for things that perk your interest-themes, colors, art, fabrics, etc.
2. Go through your inspiration pieces, photos or prints and try to define your nursery style.
3. Choose the baby room style that resonates with your personal tastes.
4. Settle on a nursery theme and colors for the baby's room.
5. Create a baby room mood board featuring the must-have nursery furniture and accessories. A mood board is a great way to to plan, visualize, concept and experiment. It is really the best way to see your whole design come together without having to commit to a nursery design.
6. Map out the layout for the baby's room. A successful nursery layout should take into account the furniture placement, traffic flow, negative space and of course, the focal points.
7. Look at the mood board and the layout and identify opportunities to add nursery storage solutions to make the space more efficient and organized. Bring in baskets, hang bookshelves, add wall hooks and incorporate shelving into the design.
8. Start purchasing your big ticket items such crib, nursery chair, rug and dresser. These key pieces may take a while to be delivered.
9.While you await your deliveries, it's the perfect time to get the space ready. Start painting the wall, hang up that wallpaper or create that standout accent wall.
10. Bring in accessories to add personality to the baby's room and to make it uniquely yours.
11. Update the nursery lighting and install dimmers. Don't forget to add nightlights for late night feedings and diaper changes.
12. Stock-up the nursery with baby essentials such as diapers, wipes, lotions and ointment.
13. Bring in a baby monitor, humidifier and a sound machine to help your little one get a good nights sleep and give you peace of mind.
BABY ROOM IDEAS 2021
1. GO WITH A BOLD WALLPAPER
2. MAKE BABY'S ROOM MAGICAL
2. BRING IN WALL DECALS
3. MAXIMIZE SMALL SPACE
4. GO WITH A STRIKING COLOR PALETTE IN THE NURSERY
5. BRING IN WARM WOODS
6.CHOOSE A metal crib
7. ADD GORGEOUS ART PRINTS
8. STICK WITH A MUTED COLOR PALETTE
9. add texture to the nursery
10. GO WITH TWO TONE WALLS
11. BRING IN NURSERY STORAGE SOLUTIONS
12. ADD A NURSERY MURAL
13. don't overlook the ceilings
14. ADD A GORGEOUS LIGHT FIXTURE
15.PERSONALIZE WITH A NAME SIGN
NURSERY DESIGN TOOLS AND HELP
Here are some tools and links to help you decorate baby's room.
1. NURSERY STYLE QUIZ to help define your style.
2. BEST NURSERY LAYOUT, to help create the most efficient nursery layout.
3.NURSERY DECOR MADE SIMPLE, to help you choose the best nursery décor items.
4. 40 NURSERY IDEAS FOR A BABY GIRL for baby girl room inspiration.
5. 40 NURSERY IDEAS FOR A BABY BOY for baby boy room inspiration.
Last Updated on September 2, 2021 by Tira Attygalla