Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase the item, we'll receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Today, we’re sharing our guide on how to baby proof the house along with a printable baby proofing checklist.
In this post, we'll look at what you need to do to make your home as safe as it can be for the baby. Baby proofing is a lot of work. But it’s totally worth it. It is one of the best ways to prevent injuries and keep your baby safe in your home.
You might be wondering when you need to start baby proofing the house. Babies don't really start moving around the house till they are about 6-7 months old. But here's the thing. Babyproofing can get overwhelming so it's best to start figuring out how to baby proof the house and work on it, even before your little one is here.
HOW TO BABY PROOF YOUR HOUSE: 30 BABY PROOFING TIPS YOU MUST KNOW
1. Secure heavy furniture such as bookshelves, dressers, mirrors etc.
2. Cover sharp covers.
3. Place outlet covers.
4. Replace blinds that have cords.
5. Anchor the television.
6. Make sure plants are safe for babies.
7. Keep small objects out of reach.
8. Remove home decor/books from lower bookcase shelves.
9. Use door stoppers.
10. Get a carbon monoxide dector.
11. Install smoke detectors.
12. Keep indoor temperature between 65-72 Degrees.
13. Ensure the water heater temperature does not exceed 120 Degrees.
14. Install baby gates!
15. Keep medicines out of reach.
16. Make sure the crib adheres to current safety standards.
17. Keep the crib free of pillows, bumpers and soft toys.
18. Use a baby monitor.
19. Place crib away from windows, shelves and decor.
20. Use child proof locks on dresser drawers.
21. Make sure the mattress is firm.
22. Install latches on appliances, toilet and oven doors.
23. Keep household cleaners and detergents high up.
24. Cover the water spout in the bath tub.
25. Keep bathroom trash in a locked cabinet.
26. Keep the number for poison control where it is visible (1-800-222-1222).
27. Secure doors to areas such as garage and cellar.
28. Keep magnets off the refrigerator.
29. Move couches and beds away from balconies and windows.
30. Keep firarms unloaded and locked in a cabinet.
DOWNLOAD THE PRINTABLE BABY PROOFING CHECKLIST
SAVE THIS BABY PROOFING CHECKLIST PIN TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD
Last Updated on February 1, 2021 by Tira Attygalla