All products featured on Nursery Design Studio are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Of course you want the baby's nursery to look like all those beautiful spaces you see on design blogs you love, but there's one little problem-you don't have much money for decorating. So how do you get the nursery you crave?
It might seem impossible to design a nursery without spending a lot of money, but it is certainly possible to design a stylish nursery on a budget. Read this Ultimate Guide to Designing a Nursery On a Budget to find out how to save money when creating the nursery, find deals on baby nursery furnishings and learn how the experts design budget nurseries. We'll also show you some beautiful nursery designs for under 1000 dollars.
HOW TO CREATE A BUDGET FRIENDLY BABY NURSERy
1. Start with the basics and build from there.
When designing a nursery there are a few things you need right away like a crib or a bassinet, dresser or a changing table and a nursery chair. Try acquiring these basics first and then you can focus on the rest of the decor as you go.
2.Get creative with sourcing furniture
You don't have to buy all the furniture brand new except a crib. Look around your house and see if you can re-purpose furniture. Also, don't forget to check with family and friends. Many neighborhoods have Spring sales where families have garage sales to get rid of stuff their little ones have grown out of. Look for those sales and bargain hunt.
3. WORK WITH WHAT YOU'VE GOT
Perhaps there's a comfortable arm-chair that is sitting in your basement but you just can't stand the pattern on the fabric. You can always get a nice slip cover to throw over it. Or, maybe you have an outdated dresser with an ugly finish. With a few coats of paint, modern hardware and some sweat, you have saved yourself over 200 dollars!
4. PAINT THE WALLS TO CHANGE THE MOOD OF THE SPACE
There's nothing that can dramatically change the mood and the design of a space than a fresh coat of paint. Paint the walls a bold color to make a statement or go with muted colors for a soft backdrop.
5. USE ACCESSORIES TO PULL THE DESIGN TOGETHER
We love adding accessories to a design to bring a personal touch and whimsy. Stretch your budget by adding inexpensive accessories such as a wreath, a growth chart or a garland to pull the nursery design together.
6. CHOOSE AFFORDABLE ART & PHOTOS TO PERSONALIZE THE NURSERY
You don't have to spend a lot of money to add interesting art and photos to your baby's nursery. Buy a large art piece that makes a big impact or simply DIY. You could also give a piece of art the appearance of a masterpiece with over-sized matting and framing.
7. use spray paint to update the look of furniture
Seriously, there's so much you can do with spray paint. Whether you have an old bookcase from the thrift store or an IKEA piece, use spray paint to customize the item and give it a brand new look.
8.OPT FOR BUDGET FRIENDLy curtains
We love our curtains with an abundance of fabric, not the ones that are too short for the windows. So think outside the box and use inexpensive shower curtains, budget friendly painter drop cloths or even attach a hem to make your existing curtains longer.
10 MONEY SAVING TIPS FOR DESIGNING A NURSERY ON A BUDGET
1. Save money when designing your nursery by having your furniture do double duty. Use a dresser for both storing baby's clothes and as a changing station or get a storage cube that will function as a storage solution and to rest your legs while breastfeeding.
2 . If you love the look of wall paper but can't afford it, try using inexpensive decals to create a unique and interesting look for your baby's nursery.
4. You don't need to spend a lot of money on bedding sets for the nursery, which you are probably never going to use. You certainly don't need bumpers and quilts for the crib because of the risk of SIDS. Instead, opt for a few fitted sheets for the crib.
5. When designing the nursery on a budget, don't forget to add as much storage as you can. Here's how to add inexpensive storage solutions to your nursery design.
6. Consider the flexibility of the furnishings you choose for the nursery. You'll be redesigning the nursery in a few years, so look for furniture that can grow with the baby. Look at convertible cribs that can become a toddler bed later on. Read this on our picks for SPLURGE vs SAVE cribs.
7. When designing a nursery on a budget, consider hacking inexpensive furniture to maximize its functionality. Consider these awesome IKEA Hacking Ideas.
8. Save money on nursery decor and accessories by making it yourself.
9. When you are trying to decorate your baby's nursery on a budget, put everything you need for the nursery on your Baby Registry, including the big ticket items such as the crib and nursery chair. Perhaps, your family can chip in and buy you the crib you want or your co-workers might band together and get you the dresser.
10. Choose an awesome Baby Registry with great benefits where your family and friends can access it easily. We love the Amazon Baby Registry with its huge selection, great prices and accessibility. They also offer great perks such as a 90 day free return policy and 10% completion bonus for any items purchased within 30 days of your due day. So if you register for $1500 worth of gifts you should receive $150 back!
9 EXPERT APPROVED WAYS TO SAVE MONEY WHEN DECORATING A NURSERY
1. I've been on many beautiful house tours, spotted some incredible furnishings, only to discover that they were CraigsList steals. If you want to decorate your baby's nursery on a budget, but want it to look stylish and expensive, look for second hand furniture online. Don't be afraid to check out the free section as well. There are some gems that just need a little love! (Always buy the crib brand new because of safety concerns and changing standards.)
2. Instead of hanging multiple art pieces that are too small, invest in one statement piece that will make a big impact in the nursery. I love bargain hunting for these big statement art pieces at flea markets or even at stores like HomeGoods and Kirkland's.
3. One of the best expert secrets to bring beauty, life and texture to a design is to add plants. Add greenery to bring instant life to the nursery without spending a lot of money. Read this post on the best purifying houseplants for the baby nursery.
4. Design experts know that rugs have magic powers. A rug breathes warmth to a space, ties together a room and color scheme while injecting color to the space. But we know that rugs can be expensive. If you find a rug you love but can't afford to buy the size you want, think about layering rugs. Buy a smaller size of the rug you want and layer it with an inexpensive rug in the size you need. Or use a $10 dollar drop cloth from home depot and get creative to design a rug for the baby's nursery!
5. Mix quality pieces with less expensive finds to give the nursery a high end look. If you have your eyes on a particular crib, you could splurge on it and save money elsewhere.
6. Lighting is a cost effective way to transform a space from dark and cave like into warm and inviting. Improve the lighting in your nursery design by updating an old lamp with a new lamp shade or hang a new inexpensive pendent for maximum impact.
7. We are huge fans of IKEA and their affordable pieces. And, we also love embellishing those generic pieces to take them to the next level without spending a lot of money. Read this post on our Best IKEA Nursery Hacks, to find how to bring affordable style to your nursery design.
STYLISH WAYS TO DESIGN A BEAUTIFUL NURSERY ON A BUDGET
This stylish IKEA Nursery Design costs under $1000 to put together. Read more about the design
And, this neutral nursery design also came in under 1000 dollars. Read more about the design.
If you've registered for the Amazon Baby Registry, consider this beautiful mid century baby nursery which is quite affordable and costs less than $1000. Read how you can get this style
Here's another budget friendly design, An Affordable Mid Century Amazon Nursery Design. This whole design was just a little over $1000!.
NURSERY FURNISHINGS WITH UNBELIEVABLY SMALL PRICE TAGS
It can be daunting and overwhelming to pick nursery furniture given all the options there are. So we've done the work for you and narrowed down some great options at different price points. Here's a post on Baby Cribs to Fit Your Budget
Okay Mama! Now you are ready to tackle your nursery design and make it into a space you would love and one where your growing family will make lots of special memories in.
Last Updated on May 19, 2019 by Tira Attygalla
Leave a Reply